Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spring Treasures






A Light exists in Spring
Not present on the Year
At any other period
When March is scarcely here
A Color stands abroad
On Solitary Fields
That science cannot overtake
But Human Nature feels
Emily Dickinson
With a warm March sun on my shoulders and a rake in my hand, I set out to erase the ravages of winter...and found my simple joy for the day. Brilliant colors of purple and green and yellow and white, dancing in the sunlight. Hope in the sight of a crocus, hope that spring is here, no matter what the last few days of winter have to throw at us. What a joy, to spend an hour on my knees , surrounded with the sounds of returning birds and scent of fresh earth, as I cleared a path for these annual friends. I was rewarded the next day with several rings of the tiny purple heralds, dancing in the March winds. Gazing at their beauty, I could hear the music of my Grandmothers voice as she patted the earth around each tiny jewel, speaking of fairies dancing in the midst of each magic circle. And my ever practical Grandfather, laughing as he showed us how to predict weather by watching them.....open crocus, warm weather, closed crocus, cold weather. May your day be graced with the sight of this early spring treasure.

No comments: