Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gratitude....


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. 
 It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. 
 Gratitude makes sens of our past, brings peace for today,
and creates a vision for tomorrow.  
 Melody Beattie


Thanksgiving is the season of simple joys.....days just  made for recognizing the treasures in the ordinary.  It seems I need some occasional reminding about remembering just that.  About looking around me and counting the many blessings that fill my days.  About remembering just how full this life is...and how grateful I am to be living it.  About remembering to look at the vibrant colors that decorate my world  (planted on hands and knees together, one short year ago) instead of moaning about the snow that will soon fly.    I need some reminding about how good my old worn sweater feels in the cool of the evenings that start so much sooner...and how great it feels to stay just a few more minutes in the dark, frosty mornings, under the warmth of a  quilt hand stitched by a grandmother long ago, listening to the soft, soothing snore of my best friend beside me.....instead of complaing about short days and winter coming.   I need to read a few more books and spend a few minutes less on Facebook....light another candle and turn off an extra light....simmer another pot of soup and stop for fast food one less time.....write a friend a letter by hand and put down the Blackberry...meet a friend for coffee and get myself out in the world.....and find my way back to taking a picture..each and every day...of a simple joy that fills my life.   Gratitude is an attitude...and it seems as if mine needs a big adjustment! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful autumnal details in your words...and I also need to make gratitude a habit. Some people are posting five things each Friday for which they are grateful (Friday's Fave Five), and I've wondered if I would be able to do that even if I tried! I need to look with new eyes.

Thank you so very much for stopping by my Christmas blog. I love what you shared about making stars. What a lovely creative memory.

A wonderfully warm and blessed Thanksgiving weekend to you and yours!

Changes in the wind said...

I hope you accomplish them all but especially getting back to taking a picture a day (and hopefully posting them).

Lady Di Tn said...

A photo a day would be a real treat for us no words necessary even though I love your writings. Each statement you make comes from your heart and it makes our hearts sing to read them. I too am spending less time on the computer and I do not do Facebook, Twitter or even own a blackberry. All these wonderful convenients have made life less simple. So avoidance is best. Peace be with you.

Anonymous said...

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.