Monday, January 04, 2010

Joy...in One Little Word!


“Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men,
but from doing something worthwhile.”
Wilfred T. Grenfell


One little word....choosing one little word to define your year...make a difference in your life.  I've read about the concept on Ali Edward's blog...and watched while some of my friends have started the new year with their own one little word.  This year, I'd gone as far as to narrow it down to three little words....but unable to decide, figured this project would go the same direction as my blog has been going in the last few months.  However... this morning, on a subzero gray day with yet more snowflakes falling, my best friend put on his boots, spent a few moments outside with a snow shovel...and showed me just how easy it is to choose joy....even on an ordinary day! As we shivered in the snow, laughing at the craziness of his little stage....I saw how even the tiniest sparks of joy can make a day worthwhile.   So joy it will be...my one little word for 2010.  I choose joy.  I choose to fill my days...even the gray ones...with joy! ...with laughter and silliness...with taking the time to make life worthwhile....making it fun...making it memorable.  And to my best friend, Joe...I say...after a long, cold morning of scooping, thanks for showing me how to relax...responsibly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joy is an excellent word to choose.

"Clusters of happy and unhappy people are visible in the network, and the relationship between people’s happiness extends up to three degrees of separation (for example, to the friends of one’s friends’ friends)."

I read this this morning at In A Garden.
So very true!