Monday, January 21, 2008

Something Squirrelly About This!



Nothing brings simple joy like the sight of our own backyard rodent! Bushy, brown and full of energy, he's become a worthy adversary in the ongoing saga of "I'm only feeding the birds this winter", an ongoing tale that's told in this family! A good laugh can always be found in watching Joe's efforts to keep Samuel T. Squirrel (named by the grandchildren) from gaining access to the bird feeders! Sam has outsmarted higher placement (jumps over from a tree limb)...greasing the pole to prevent climbing (flings himself from shrub to shrub and launches through the air to land like a gymnast on the bird feeder)...and even sits and stares blatantly back during verbal assaults by this faithful bird feedin' man and his rowdy squirrel chasing faithful four legged partner ! I've seen this squirrel buzzed by a resident blue jay, scolded by throngs of hungry sparrows, and toppled by winter winds.....only to return to his bird feed eating post within minutes. This squirrel knows no fear....only hunger! And eat, he does....often... and from a variety of positions, including hanging upside down from a nearby tree limb. Stolen ears of field corn turn up in the most unusual places these days, left as a treasure map of sorts by our furry friend.....on deck railings, teetering on tree branches and once, on top of the mail box! Most days, I find myself rooting for this bushy tailed backyard resident that spends his days in my family trees, seeking out the nuts! I find we have so much in common.....we both love to eat, both get chubby in the winter, we both love beautiful trees, and we both loose our fear of people when treated with a little kindness! For a simple joy on a winter day, spend a few moments in your own backyard.....maybe Sam has a cousin that lives there!

6 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

I so wish he did:)

Changes in the wind said...

Just me again:) I wanted to let you know that I posted a praise about your site on my site on 1/23 Hope it is okay:)

Joni said...

Yup I came here via changes in the wind. Wonderful pictures and I love the story of the squirrel. I don't have any of those here.

Granny Annie said...

Sam's cousin and/or twin lives in my sister's backyard in Kansas. My bil has done battle with this squirrel forever and believe me, "there ain't no mountain high enough". My bil has built metal contraptions to guard the bird feeder and Sam Two masters them every time. It is a thrill to watch this creature of nature adapt, improvise and overcome. I'm so glad Changes In The Wind sent me to your blog. I shall return often.

Lady Di Tn said...

Came over via Changes in the Wind and love you site. The pictures are beautiful and the stories are great. Went all the way back to Gus facing the wind.

I have trained Maggie, my black lab, to chase the squirrels off the feeders here in Tn but I had to trap the family of raccoons and take them down the Natchez Trace but I still think we have another varmit coming to feed at night.

If Sam's nose was white I would swear it was the one who craweled up the tree and grabbed my left booted foot one frost morning as I was up in a tree stand.

Peace

Fred said...

At the Seckman household, our Squirrel friend is named Mr. Nuts. He manages to eat a good portion of my bird seed and fills my trees with his nests. :)