Friday, January 18, 2008

Leftover joy...




If the world seems cold to you, kindle fires to warm it.
-- Lucy Larcom
In the depths of winter stands a leftover in pale blue. A delicate memory that kindles a fire in my heart...and warms my soul. A summer gift in honor of a friend now gone, this symbol of life is a simple joy on the long, cold days of winter. I find my winter days now filled with laced up boots... wool mittens on frozen fingers........hand knitted scarves wrapped round and round to warm frosty ears ....cozy sweaters, layered on layer to chase the cold away. Winter days, now filled with ice scrapers...slippery commutes......trees gowned in snowflakes.....street lights with halos...white blanketed rooftops.... but greeted at each coming and going by this determined little memory, wings waving slowly in the winds of winter, warming my days from the inside out. A leftover memory reminding me of the simple joy to be found in life.....and how precious it is.

No comments: