Monday, July 14, 2008

For Tracy....




"You can erase someone from your mind. Getting them out of your heart is another story."
From the Movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"





Almost one year ago, my friend Tracy lost her courageous battle with breast cancer. Her name was easily erased from her locker at work. In 365 short days, the mention of her name now falls on many ears that never met her...or laughed along with the funny, little girl giggle she gave so freely. Only a hand full remember the significance of the dragonflies I continue to display in her honor. There have been countless numbers of patients through our department that will never have the privilege of saying...Tracy was my nurse when I had my baby. But getting Tracy out of my heart will never be possible. There are hundreds of times every week I think of her....and laugh at a million little memories that are uniquely hers. Memories like ...the pounding of my heart, praying for success as I restarted her IV not once, but twice on a Christmas day early in her battle...crying with her as she raged against the injustice of breast cancer. Memories like... pink, in any color...pink will always be Tracy to me. She wore it well...and often! I wear proudly a bright pink t shirt....(me, in pink! ) ... in memory of my friend....a treasured reminder of making each moment count, and just how short life really is. Memories like... pink beaded bracelets with breast cancer flip flops, hand beaded by friends and family and sold in numerous places. Memories like ...hoping for the sight of a dragonfly.....and keeping my camera ready, just in case for a glimpse of this magical creature that gave her so much hope in the last of her days. I laugh at the sound of flip flops, turning to expect to see her in yet another fashionable color from her well packed shoe closet. I love to hear stories of her husband and children.....hoping that the memories she packed in during her short time here on earth sustain them in the dark corners of their days. So...when I was rewarded with a visit from this magnificent creature this morning......a dragonfly with glass wings that glistened in the sunshine, buzzed around my hair and settled on my battered old plastic dragonfly that stands proudly in her honor....I couldn't help but smile and think that just maybe, Tracy remembers me!

2 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

A very beautiful tribute to a loved friend. I believe in Angels and often feel loved ones gone on before me watch over me and maybe that was a visual glimpse of the Angel watching you. Peace

Changes in the wind said...

Precious memories:)