Thursday, February 05, 2009

To my daughter....

Once in a lifetime one should be allowed
to have as much sweetness as one can possibly want and hold.
Judith Obrey



Today, my daughter made a statement that left me laughing. She was reading this blog at her desk, comforting her under the weather seven year old on her lap and answering questions peppered at her from her always inquisitive five year old .
"Mom"...she said...."I love your pictures, but do you ever find joy in anything but trees?" Speechless for a few seconds (highly unusual for those of you that know me), I laughed and shrugged. She continued on, reading the last few entries, but was soon interrupted by requests for hair braiding and Wii instructions. As I sipped the fresh cup of coffee she'd had ready, I watched her gently pat the back of the sick one and comb the long blonde hair of her princess....my past, my present and my future before me. I decided that this post...this entry...would be about the simple joy that found me today on this 50 degree day in February. So, for Kim.....yes....I find joy in so many things other than trees!
I find joy.......
..in a cup of Cold Stone ice cream on a cold day, heater blowing in a black truck, radio playing oldies!
..in the giggle of your little princess as she cartwheels across your floor!
..in the mother you've become...even on the bad days!
..in a curly haired boy with strep throat that screeched when I licked his ear!
..in a skinny nine year old boy that still sits on Grandma's lap!
..in a red headed young man that's almost taller than Grandma, but always gives her a hug!
..and in a busy young boy that I have to chase to get that hug!
..in Moms & Dads that still put on roller skates and do the "hokey pokey"!
..in knowing that you read what I write, and even bookmark it!
..in having all our kids accept me as their friend on Facebook!
..in stories of a granddaughter we've yet to meet...and the sweet pictures we still can't share with anyone!
..in waterfights....and snow angels....and snowcones...and yes, even in hundreds of ball games!
..in poptarts and rootbeer for breakfast on sleepovers!


Oh yes...I find joy in so many places other than trees! ( You can find them on our family blog!) But I find peace....and comfort....and satisfaction in trying to capture some of the beauty in this world. From the movie we both share as one of our favorites, P.S. I Love YOU....comes this quote that sums it up best:

"All I know is, if you don't figure out this something, you'll just stay ordinary, and it doesn't matter if its a work of art or a taco, or a pair of socks! Just create something... new, and there it is, and its you, out in the world, out side of you and you can look at it, or hear it, or read it, or feel it... and you know a little more about... you!"


So someday, when you're old enough to appreciate the beauty of a bare winter tree, silhouetted in the setting sun....I hope you...and those that walk behind me...will remember my photos...my writing...and find that you got to know a little more about me! You...my family...are my joy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry Billie! I enjoy all of your photos and postings - you are so talented and I look forward every morning to checking both sites. They truly are priceless!! Thank you!

Lady Di Tn said...

Billie
What a nice tribute to family and the joys of life. Thanks for sharing. Peace

Anonymous said...

Ditto. You always say what i feel. Your way with words leaves me with a full heart--and wondering why tacos, flannel nightgowns in winter, quilts, Irish coffee and daughters, don't spill out of my mouth too. I love your blog!!!