Sunday, February 13, 2011

advice...


“Advice is like snow; the softer it falls,
the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into, the mind.”
Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Advice....everyone has some to share, and I find it  usually pretty much always stinks!   Our  world is filled with tweets and posts and blogs and profiles  offering  advice...and opinions on everything.  How to raise your child, train your dog, cut your hair, or  change your life.  You can spend an hour  on the internet to learn that Anthropologie  must be just  one store front from  heaven,   that  older women shouldn't wear long hair (or God forbid, a ponytail) , that  the key to deeper relationships can is to be  found in pulling the  plug on Facebook or Twitter, and that  satisfaction lives   deep in the apps on an Ipad, an Iphone or a DROID(I think I have a syndrome  that prevents me from using any of those...it's called  " I'm a technology ID 10 T !)   My Mom had her own opinion about advice and who..or where  it came from.  She'd tell us that  advice from your friends or family  was  like the weather..some of it good, some of it bad.  And all of it  should be taken with a grain of salt.  This was usually accompanied by a laugh, a hug..and the reminder that Mom's advice could always be trusted!     So.. on this snowy day in February, I 'm  thinking I've  had my fill of both  snow... and advice.    For today...go ahead, bring it on.  Send me that advice you want to share, mass mail your tweets... or your twits... text me  from your Iphone or  your anDroid... send me a message from your  must have app (that you just paid Itunes 3.99 for)....but I won't be there to get it.     Not today.  Today, I'm going to   brush this old long  gray hair into the  ponytail you advised me not to wear,  put on my plain label worn out  coat you advised  me not to buy ten years ago  and hit the snowy trails.  Far from the maddening crowd (and the name brands they're shopping for ....free to write and dream and think on my own  and just be...without anyone's advice to guide me.  Next month, however...you just might  find me at Verizon, in search of that Iphone for dummies I read about on the Facebook page I posted on when I read the tweet about it!    (And all this from the old woman who thought tweets were the little birds that shivered on her feeders in winter! :)

1 comment:

Tori said...

i love long hair, pony tails and plain label clothes! i also will not be getting a fancy phone with more options and apps then my home computer. i have kids to play with not phones! :)(even tho to be honest i do have a little phone envy)
love you billie, your blogs make me smile each day!