Tuesday, February 08, 2011

only in winter...

There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you.  
In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open season on each other;
only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches
when you can savor belonging to yourself. 
Ruth Stout

In the midst of winter, I am savoring the long quiet stretches at home.    I find peace in my second cup of coffee, blanket tucked around my always cold feet, camera perched beside me and a stack of books on the table.  I find joy in old movies and late suppers and honest conversations with my best friend.  He always gets me.  And always listens.   I blog.  I surf.  I read.  I knit.  I cook.  I bake.  I laugh. I cry, a little...mostly at old movies!  I love. I plan for spring...and summer ...and fall.  And I savor winter, and the peace it brings,  before it all starts again.  And it will.  Basketball is in full swing, the cheer girls have been bringing home trophies.  Baseball is just around the corner, grandbabies are calling... and so is travel...to Denver, to Washington, and wherever else the road may lead.    But for right now.....Life is quiet.  Life is comfortable.  Life is good.  And  even the swings are smiling...under all that snow.

2 comments:

spindrift,maine said...

oh, me too! I'm also knitting, reading and cooking--reveling in the quiet, buttoned up part of winter, even as I look forward to spring. And I am also going to Denver end of this week to visit my baby granddaughter. We have a lot in common, it seems. Thanks for your comments, for sure I'll be back here often!

Changes in the wind said...

This was a beautiful post and love the picture.