Sunday, February 20, 2011

work....

All work feeds the soul if it is honest
and done to the best of our abilities and if it brings joy to others.
Matthew Fox

Three 12 hour shifts  a week....(including every third weekend and every other holiday).....I shut off the alarm at 5 am and get up...and go to work.  I am a labor and delivery nurse.  Work  that truly feeds my soul.   Work I take pride in doing...and  fight hard to do well.   Work  that may bring joy to others....but never as much joy  as it brings to me.  38 years worth of work...and the lessons that have come with it.  Lessons so very much worth sharing with my children...and my childrens' children.   Lessons that have  taught me that......
...life is really just two big groups....
those who do the work, and those who take the credit.  
Membership to both groups is not an option.

you can try to go that extra mile at work...
but your boss will find you.  
And bring you back.  Abruptly.

work has a way of getting in the way of life.  Daily.

the reward for a job well done...is the chance to do even more.  Right away.

 people who can laugh together, work well together.  And should.  Everyday.  (thanks, Phil!)

miracles can happen.  It pays to believe in them.
(they never fail to humble me)

a warped sense of humor gets you through almost anything. 
Even the painful stuff

people will generally live up ...or down..to your expectations..and that includes
scrub techs and doctors.  We're all, after all...human.

nursing really parallels life......
it can be the  best of times, it can be  the worst of times..
and sometimes, it just plain stinks.  

when things get tough, hold hands...and stick together.

 no matter how crazy the day is, it will end.
and you can go home in time
to get up and do it again tomorrow.
at 6:45, sharp.

Remember the Golden Rules...say your sorry and mean it, treat everyone just like you'd want you..and yours to be treated , clean up your own messes...and don't take things that aren't yours to take.

Wish I could take credit for creating all these lessons I've learned...but I've had some really great teachers in the patients and co workers and doctors I've worked with  and listened to.       (If you recognize any of your words here, it's a  compliment intended!  )  Life really is a great ride, kids....you just have to make sure you're going in the right direction..and hold on tight!


3 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Wonderful way of sharing and glad you included us.

ShanaM said...

L&D would be a great place to work.

I do homecare myself............. which is very boring. Same patient, same stuff, every night.

My favourite place to work was the pediatric hospital in Arksanas.

Anonymous said...

Work does get in the way of life, daily, but the miracles of what you do smooth that out. I miss bringing a baby into this world, and would like to do it just once more so I could cherish that memory. Your soul will never forget this kind of good stuff!!