Monday, August 27, 2007

Shadows of the evening...

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.

Another lesson in life from a simple joy...evening shadow time. As the light from the day begins to fade and the evening shadows steal across the sky, I find myself enjoying the shadows in my own backyard. As I sit and rock and lose myself in the shadows, I go back... back to the sound of my Grandmother's voice softly singing a childhood hymn...
Now the day is over
Night is drawing nigh
Shadows of the evening
Steal across the sky
I go back to the memory of rocking in a creaking glider, plastic seat cool against young thighs. To a time when evenings meant winding down, family time....time to reflect on the day and dance with the shadows and turn our backs to the light. A piece of the day when time stood still and comfort was the sounds of muffled conversations on the neighbors front porch, the sight of fireflies twinkling like tiny diamonds in the cool air and the warmth of my mother's arm around my shoulders, tapping out the rhythm of my grandmother's song, accompanied by the evening cricket band. Memories that continue to fill me with joy.
Frank Lloyd Wright once said: " The present is the ever moving shadow that divides yesterday from tomorrow. In that lies hope." I've been so blessed with memories in my life...so touched by the light from a loving family, that I do find my shadows filled with hope. Hope...the most important legacy I can pass along to my children.

1 comment:

Hootin Anni said...

Hi. Nice to meet you. I dropped by to let you know that I've added you to the Bloggers Over 50 blog roll!

PS---I really, REALLY like this photo of shadows! It's almost poetic in nature. Really!!!