Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beauty and the beast...

Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the Beast
Walt Disney Music Company
There are moments in the day when simple joy finds me, even when I'm not looking! Such peace can be found in the sounds of water dripping from thirsty baskets of petunias......and on this sticky August evening, I was in desperate search of just that. I stood lost in thought, soaking plant after plant, bare toes kissed by the spray of my homemade waterfall. I wound up the hose, poured a well earned glass of wine and settled in our ancient porch swing, humming along with a favorite old Moody blues song on the radio. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a clump of mud...that moved! Looking closer....I found a simple joy that made me laugh out loud! I had watered the plants so well, I had chased this little beast from his home in the hostas....and knocked a bloom off the phlox that landed right beside him. One of my favorite stories from childhood immediately came to mind....Beauty and the Beast....filled with lessons in life indeed....and here it sat, right in my own backyard! There were so many lessons to be remembered from this simple joy that made me laugh...lessons of not judging a book by its cover... of what real love is... and what real beauty looks like....and the reminder that you may have to kiss a lot of toads in life before you find the right one! My own little beast soon hopped away and a breeze took the pink phlox bloom along with him...but not before I snapped this photo of the simple joy that came to find me today!

3 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Great perspective, great photo and love the bricks too.....

ShanaM said...

Simple joys are the best.

Lady Di Tn said...

Thanks for sharing your beauty and beast with us. What joys you give us. Peace