Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happiness...

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance;
 the wise grows it under his feet.
James Openheim


It's hard to walk out my back door and not smile.  Everywhere I look, happiness grows...and simple joy waves in  the wind.   March crocus and daffodils have given way to over 500 tulips....and a rainbow of colors that wave their brilliant heads in the winds of spring.  We planted many of them on a cold November day...working together, arthritic knees aching at the end of a long day of digging and crawling...but it's amazing how that pain is soon lost in the beauty of these April mornings!    I've been blessed to travel to many beautiful places in my life...but none hold a candle to the beauty growing under my feet in April! 

4 comments:

ShanaM said...

Great photo!

Changes in the wind said...

Thanks for sharing with us...

Lady Di Tn said...

These are beautiful. Five hundred, wow I would still be trying get up. My son & I have joined the nearby YMCA and I am hoping to go to some of the water classes and what they call silver sneaker. LOL
Peace

Anonymous said...

A beautiful, thought-provoking quote. It reminds me of that Proverb (28:19): "He who works his land will have abundant food" (for the soul, perhaps in this application), "but the one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty."

Lovely, lovely tulips. I have a half-formed dream of digging in several hundred daffies this fall, and you inspire me to go for it. I think it's going to happen.